Re: [BKARTS] Japanese Paper for Leather Board Reattachment

I have done this repair many times with a variety of papers. The advantage of Moriki (or Yatsuo, as it was named for a while) is opacity. Moriki is also a sulphite paper, I believe. I am not at all sure of the lightfastness of these dyed papers, though I think they are better than they once were.

I have used both leather spirit dyes (Feibing) (in general, not light- fast) and acrylic inks. When developing the dye mix, I'll usually prepare several pieces of paper, generally of different base colors. The underlying tone of the leather is what I start with--sometimes that is not brown, but red or even blue. The paper is dyed (painted) with a swab or brush and allowed to dry. Then it is torn to size and shape, per the instructions. After the repair is completed, I tone the repair paper with pastels and a paper stomp or a Q-tip. The I finish with a coating of SC6000, a wax available through several bookbinding supplies, viz. TALAS, Bookmakers, and others.

SC6000 is pretty spendy, and it doesn't have a really long shelf-life once the jar is opened. To lessen the likelihood that the was will dry up on me, I scoop a bit out of the jar into a 35mm film canister, then I work in a littlef isopropyl or Klucel G in isopropyl. The wax stays nicely soft.

Hiromi carries Moriki, and The Japanese Paper Place also stocks a wide variety of dyed opaque papers, but I forget whether they are Morikis or something else.

Another paper that I have used with great success on larger volumes is Kurotani from AIko's. Kurotani is also called kite paper, and it is extremely sturdy. I cannot tear Kurotani by hand, and it requires some effort to effect a water tear. It somes only in natural, however, so dying is a bit more challenging.

Carol
Eugene, OR
=======