From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
james tapley
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:53 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fabrication/frustration/sex and drugs but in the wrong order

The Artist is correct; it is not current practice to credit
fabricators nor studio assistants nor the cute coffee guy at the
corner. Reminds me of the great opening debate in Reservoir Dogs over
which servers are "tip worthy".
Yes yes I know that we are to believe that these Bindings are
Artistic Statements in which case the Binder has only him/herself to
blame for the deficient contract accepted.
If you think any Artist is going to be able to commit every gallery
owner or institution to "properly" credit every worker, well get away
from the Kool Aid. Just imagine the added tree deaths!
And think for a moment: did the Binder include a complete colophon
and credit each and every of their suppliers and fabricators (paper,
thread, adhesive, teachers, well you get the idea) in the books? I'll
bet not. But are they not "tip worthy" as well? Must every gallery
blurb now become an ass numbing Academy Award acceptance speech?
And just whose name is on that gallery invitation anyway, hmmm? Who
is Wayne Newton and who is the silicon bosomed showgirl in this
equation?
But thank our stars the solution is simple: the Binder need only
generate a worthy showing of Art Bindings and thus gain their own
entry to that Snake Pit.
Until then be grateful you got paid and as they say in France, its
back to work... best, James
PS Try reading (or re-) Soetsu Yanagi's THE UNKNOWN CRAFTSMAN with a
good cup of kona as a healthy corrective.

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
                   Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
                   Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006