Re: [BKARTS] Japanese Paper for Leather Board Reattachment

I have used acrylic inks on both cloth and leather. The ink brushed on will penetrate the cloth fibers and so be more than a superficial coating, but they do not penetrate leather. Feibing spirit dyes do not penetrate the leather surface very far either, and so a coating of SC6000 or Renaissance wax would be used. I am told that the oil dyes are better for permanent coloring on leather--more lightfastness and better penetration..

Getting an even coloring with ink on a large piece of cloth is nearly impossible, so I use an airbrush. With spirit dyes results are mixed. Rayon fabrics take the spirit dyes very nicely, and so can be brushed on. On cotton cloths, I use an airbrush to color with spirit dyes. Unless heavily applied, these tend to be surface colors.

When I use Bill Minter's technique for preparing muslin with dye (usually ink) and methocellulose, one has to hand-brush the preparation onto (or into) the cloth, because it is rather too thick to spray.

So what I do (have done) depends on the choice of material, the color, and the purpose. One has to keep in mind the level of expected use, as well. Since I have worked in restoration more than in new cases, heavy use was not often anticipated.

Hope this helps.

Carol
-------