Re: [BKARTS] Fabrication/

Thank you Judy for this clarification.

For me the issue of credit arises only when they are exhibited as artist books. If they are exhibited as portfolios or a different way of presenting two dimensional work, then the contribution of the binder is rather like that of a framer

Which, a 'framer' Is a fabricator. So, in this instance, I have bound the artists' works in a 'different way of presenting two dimensional work', making me the fabricator. Ok. I can accept that explanation.
I'm definatly going to raise my prices though, the Framing Guy next door to my shop is very exspensive.
But, it would be nice to be acknowledged for thinking of, and executing the different way of presenting two dimensional work. Maybe in the next century.

Thanks everyone for all the food for thought on this string, it has certainly been an education.
Charlene

(coffee grinder might be throwing too long
a rope). It is when they are exhibited as artist books that questions arise. The only thing that (just) qualifies them for entry into an exhibition of artist books is that they are bound, but the binder is rarely acknowledged.

It also makes a difference who conceives the work. I am often approached by artists who have an idea for an artist book but no idea how to achieve it in a practical sense. In this case I charge for my time in helping them make the book, but do not expect credit as a collaborating artist.

Judy Barrass

--
http://www.art-paintings.info/

Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit