Re: [BKARTS] letterpress type impressions

I tried to use a common roll press with the trays for lettering and common lead lettering sets. These are all fine tools, and you can purchase them used for cheap and whip them into functional condition for use with any paper.
However I have recently gotten a screw press which can exert a good amount of pressure and give me the great imprints into most papers even up to the heavy grades. The only weakness here is that the lead letters can bend in the waist if you don't pack them properly in the tray. So spacers and punctuation blanks must be placed with accuracy and must be very tight. If you use the larger print, this is not quite as important. I managed to get into the "printing business" with all the above named tools for under three hundred dollars and they are capable of reproducing 16th C and forward printing styles for missing pages and such. So often what I find when I find a great book from this period that is worth saving, is that some 'title page collector' from the Victorian age has neatly cut the page out and discarded the book. They would then display this and pretend that they had read the book. Later, many of these books would be used for warmth, insulation, bodily function comfort paper etc. making these copies so rare that they absolutely must be saved even though they are imperfect.
My screw press and some matching lettering to the book's style set well into a tray (after considerable research and proper measurements and even consultations for accuracy down to the 10th of a mil.) and pressed so that I can get the impressed lettering to common in the title pages of the era.
I have information on 'knitting' the page to the original paper and how to find the correct period paper (or make it yourself if absolutely desperate or if it is not a professional repair) so that it cannot be discerned from the original missing page. (of course you will always let any buyer know that this is not the original title page so that the book does not lose it's accurate provenance for value and insurance purposes)

I hope this helps a little.... let me know if I can offer any more suggestions.

T J Thompson

Rebecca Morton wrote:

Assuming you don't have access to a letterpress, what sort of press do you have? There are good ways to achieve a splendid emboss with an etching press or even a foot press fashioned from a piece of plywood and an old blanket. Knowing what equipment you have or might have at your disposal (what kind of printing is going on top of the impressions?) would help me help you. So do tell and I'll reply unless someone with superior advice beats me to it.

Best,

Rebecca