Re: [BKARTS] letterpress type impressions

I know that I already responded, and I don't wish to burden you, but I re-read your message and had another thought which I overlooked. My first press was made from laminated wood 3/4" one direction and 3/4" (the same size) the crossed grain direction on both top and bottom. At first I used plain old wood clamps to press these impressively strong plates together. Then I improved it by drilling holes at each corner and putting screw type pipe clamps on 1/2" pipe through each corner. This allowed the press to be completely taken apart quickly or just on one side to remove projects carefully and intact. This whole rig can be cleanly built by anyone with access to a Home Depot or Lowe's store near them and about $40.00 for good materials. The plates can be made out of either pre-laminated 12" boards or you can laminate your own boards at home and go with something that will be perfectly straight and strong forever such as maple or oak.

Best of luck

Rebecca Morton wrote:

Assuming you don't have access to a letterpress, what sort of press do you have? There are good ways to achieve a splendid emboss with an etching press or even a foot press fashioned from a piece of plywood and an old blanket. Knowing what equipment you have or might have at your disposal (what kind of printing is going on top of the impressions?) would help me help you. So do tell and I'll reply unless someone with superior advice beats me to it.

Best,

Rebecca