Re: [BKARTS] letterpress type impressions

On May 5, 2006, at 2:41 AM, Paul Bettinson wrote:

If I was to use that blanket and board techniqe (with added weights onto!) will the emboss in the paper eventually flatten out after time?

Ho ho ho. You ARE the added weight. You put the board on the floor, place your "plate" (we'll get to that variety of embossing objects you mentioned) face up on top of it, moistened printmaking paper on top of that, then the blanket or blankets depending on the height and sharpness of objects beneath, and step on. Take small gentle steps (really just shifting your weight around) crossing and re-crossing the package--taking care not to allow it to shift beneath the paper-- for several minutes. Remove the blankets for that magic moment we printmakers live for.
Would I have to use glue and water to keep the emboss in?
Not glue and water. But if I knew what you want to print atop the impressions I could advise further. The materials and techniques needed will depend completely upon what you will be subjecting your embossed pieces to post-emboss.

--Simple embossed lines and patterns is what I am after.

Fabulous. Here are some things that come to mind:
Linoleum is the most obvious choice. Cut/carve as you would for relief printing. Lino will give you clean lines of the right depth. The paper will not be in danger of tearing, and you can get more prints from a lino plate than from some of the collograph techniques that follow. Woodcut also work this way and are the primary partner of such a press.

Build a collograph plate using gesso, modeling paste, cardboard, plastic, etc. Or epoxy on plexi. Again I could advise further, but will only go on at length if asked.

Wire used for lines, patterns, filigree or script could be lain on plexi by itself or on top of parts of a lino- or woodcut to print two dimensions at once.

Textiles (brocade, lace, textured shower curtains or stockings) stiffened with gesso or polyurethane or on their own, pressed tin, vinyl wallpaper or textured plastic packaging materials could all work.

If you are wanting to use a collection of found objects, I would be happy to address the question of improvising a lockup frame for them to keep them in place while pressed.

Some recommended papers that will take a lovely emboss and live to be further manipulated: Rives BFK, Arches Cover, Arches 88 (softer, more fragile when folded repeatedly). Somerset Satin, Stonehenge papers and Hannemuhle Copperplate each have their advantages--depends on your project.

Thanks for the help Rebecca - I don't think this thread should go in the
professional archive! ;)

WHY EVER NOT?! I strenuously advocate a catholic (notice small c lowercase c tiny little c) approach to materials. To be a snob about such things is to narrow your horizons and limit your achievement.

I have left out many details in order to spare you my going on and on but would be delighted to explain or expound upon anything you may find useful if not yet explicit enough.

RM

***********************************************
Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006