From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Scott Teplin
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:50 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] from clever to corny

Just a thought -

"Successful bookmakers always employ the appropriate and frequently
they exploit special features, properties, or idiosyncrasies of the
"ingredients""

True, but I think this can go too far. When a book is just too darn
clever - it appears more like an illustration or a one-liner - and
enters the World of the Lame. I think too many artist books that fall
into this category - and instead of making the viewer really think
about the whole project or piece - s/he sees it, gets it, and moves on.
Nothing worth remembering.

Just sayin'.

Your Friend-

-Scott Teplin