Re: [BKARTS] from clever to corny

Dear Jim,
I think it's way disproportionate in book arts.
Your Friend-
-Scott Teplin

On May 10, 2006, at 6:34 PM, CARMIN Jim wrote:

Weak one-liners appear in the book arts, but it's certainly not
exclusive.

One-liners happen also in photography, painting, the rest of the visual
arts, and the spoken arts as well (if you count thin and obvious plots
in novels and poems by certain well-known poets).

     Jim Carmin
     John Wilson Special Collections Librarian
     Multnomah County Library
     801 SW 10th Avenue
     Portland, OR 97205
     jimc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
     phone: 503-988-6287
     fax: 503-988-5226

-----Original Message----- From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Teplin Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:50 PM To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [BKARTS] from clever to corny

Just a thought -

"Successful bookmakers always employ the appropriate and frequently
they exploit special features, properties, or idiosyncrasies of the
"ingredients""

True, but I think this can go too far. When a book is just too darn
clever - it appears more like an illustration or a one-liner - and
enters the World of the Lame. I think too many artist books that fall
into this category - and instead of making the viewer really think
about the whole project or piece - s/he sees it, gets it, and moves on.
Nothing worth remembering.

Just sayin'.

Your Friend-

-Scott Teplin