[BKARTS] Cleaning Vellum

Recently acquired a 40 vol set of half vellum books and would like some
guidance on cleaning the spines - not horrible, just dingy and need some
refreshing.

I have searched the list archives, googled the internet, and checked through
my many conservation  books and am not finding anything very specific.  I
remember hearing about using milk, but during my search I read that this was
not a good idea as it yellows with age.  I also read about using the pink
eraser in Laura Young's book but was cautioned about the concern with
removal of the gold stamping on the spine (which this set has). I was hoping
to find some up-to-date information on the subject.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Thanks,

Sue

The Gallagher Collection
Rare, Out of Print Books; Library Related Antiques
Don & Sue Gallagher
Open Shop: 1428 S. Broadway
Mailing Address: 2102 South Milwaukee Street
Denver, Colorado 80210
303-756-5821
FAX 303-756-7112
Toll Free 1-866-425-5225