From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of William
Minter
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:17 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Cleaning Vellum

On May 18, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Don & Sue Gallagher wrote:

> Recently acquired a 40 vol set of half vellum books and would like
> some guidance on cleaning the spines - not horrible, just dingy and
> need some refreshing.
> .... hearing about using milk,
> .... the pink eraser in.....

******************************

I would say you are wise to avoid using milk because wet cleaning could
cause more trouble. As for dry cleaning, the pink eraser could leave a pink
residue, so a better easer would be a white vinyl eraser such as the
Staedtler Mars Plastic or the Eberhard Faber 1954 Magic Rub, both available
in most art supply stores. These erasers should be OK around the gold, if
used carefully.

Good Luck,
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike