[BKARTS] thank you for London suggestions

Hello Book People,

Just a quick thanks to all who offered their fantastic suggestions for things to do in London. I was happy to get such a great response!

I couldn't get to them all but here are some things I'd like to recommend:

the exhibit of fine binding ("Covered," in the Flow gallery until 27 May, alas) was small but really wonderful. I was particularly impressed by Jenni Grey's detailed, fine work. Since the exhibit contributors share the task of minding the exhibit, I was lucky enough to chat with Bernard Middleton, one of the founders of the UK fine binders organization Designer Bookbinders, and his wife (also exhibiting).

I also happened upon Falkiners Fine Papers where they sell seconds of hand-marbled paper for 5-6 pounds (at this exchange rate not as good a discount as we'd like, but still...). Also, until 3 September, see the British Museum's fabulous special exhibit Word into Art: Artists of the Modern Middle East. A few book works but mostly great art working with the (arabic) word, very inspiring.

Thanks again to the list for being a great resource!

- annie

--
Anne O. Fisher
Lecturer, Great Books Program and Slavic Department

Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006