Re: [BKARTS] Gluing Boxes Square - Using a jig to help

Hi Brad,

Don Rash here (the framing jig Don..). While I agree with Don Drake that the double wall structure is more rigid than a single wall, I don't think it's necessary in all circumstances. As he said, it is self-jigging, though. One problem I see is that you're cutting your board by hand. It's very difficult to build a precise box without access to a board shear. Not impossible, just difficult; especially considering the thickness of your board. A mat cutter might be an improvement, but I've never used one in this sort of circumstance. Thinner board for the walls would help, but I don't know if you have any available. And the case board can be a single thickness of your 2.5mm board.
If you want I can send you off-list a step by step description of how I'd do a box like this.

Don Rash

Brad Kennedy wrote:
Hi Don,

I had a go at this, but found it even fiddlier than not doing double walls.
I guess I need to try and get that book.
The box board is 2.5mm thick so I made one wall 5mm shorter than the other
and glued it to the other wall...forming a t-joint if that makes sense. Did
that 3 more times and I had 4 walls (double walled). I then joined all the
t-joint walls together but found it was slightly out of whach.
Cutting with an Olfa and a logan ruler...tried the logan straight cutter and
that thing is woeful - even on a logan ruler...and yes...even with a backing
sheet.
I'm thinking of saving my penny's and buying a 650 Framers Edge Mat cutter.
While it's not specifically for cutting boards, do you think it will be ok?
The mat cutter would come in handy as I need one to mat and frame my prints
anyway.

Brad Kennedy