[BKARTS] FW: Support NYS Funding for The General Society Library

Dear Eric,

 FYI,

Bob

  _____

We need your support for:

An Act to Amend the State Education Law to provide funding for
The Library of The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen

We need your help now to let our state Senators and Assembly Members know
how The General Society's Library is important to you and to the history of
working people in New York State. As someone who shares our love of the GSMT
Library and its programs, you have a wonderful opportunity to help The
Library by making your voice heard in Albany.

Recently, a bill was introduced in our state Senate and Assembly that will
provide funding to help us continue support for The Library. The full text
of the bill is available at the link below.

A brief letter by mail or fax is a quick, easy and surprisingly effective
way of expressing your support. Handwritten letters are best! (Click link
below for an example of letter)

So, please write a short note to the representatives in your district and
county:

*	Introduce yourself as a resident of your representative's district
or county.
*	Mention one of the important aspects of the Library--its place as
the second-oldest library in New York City, its 185-year history of service
to the public, its support for our tuition-free school - the Mechanics'
Institute, its important collection of books, its archives, its lecture
series, its inviting 19th Century reading room.
*	Let them know why The Library is important to you: Are you a
researcher? Do you attend lectures?
*	Remind them: "Please support S7531 (Senate) and A11413 (Assembly),
An Act to Amend the State Education Law to provide funding for The Library
of The General Society of Mechanics & Tradesmen."

Other private libraries at the New York Historical Society, the Schomberg
Center, and the Center for Jewish History have already shown the wonderful
effect that this support can have. Your help now is the most important step.
Thank you for being a part of The General Society's future.

  <http://www.generalsociety.org/images/spacer.gif> Very truly yours,

  <http://www.generalsociety.org/images/spacer.gif> Stephen Amiaga
  <http://www.generalsociety.org/images/spacer.gif> President, GSMT

Locate your representatives in the state assembly and senate at
http://www.senate.state.ny.us/
<http://en.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=7
9122272&u=722890>  and at http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/
<http://en.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=7
9122272&u=722891> .

An example of what your letter might look like -
http://www.generalsociety.org/library/ed_law/sampleletter.pdf
<http://en.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=7
9122272&u=722892>

To read the full text of the bill and choose the points you want to
emphasize: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A11413
<http://en.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=7
9122272&u=722893>  and http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi
<http://en.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=7
9122272&u=722894>  (please enter S7531 in the search field for Bill No.).

  _____

You are subscribed to this list as ykorshak@xxxxxxxx Click here
roundspring.org>  to unsubscribe, or send email to
unsubscribe.94046.79122272.4166991214332125484-ykorshak_aol.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
ing.org.

Our postal address is
20 West 44th Street