Re: [BKARTS] Silicon paper / waxed paper

I have Non-stick baking paper that has a smooth coating on both sides but
that is no good - I need one side to be rough so I can glue it down. I have
never heard of 'Freezer Paper'. Do you have a link to somewhere online that
has a picture of it. Maybe it goes by a different name here in Australia...not sure.

Waxed paper has its limitations, due to the thin film of wax which can lift off with repeated use, often just single use. Even heavier waxed sheets can go this way. From our experience, the better form of non-stick paper is silicon-coated paper. Baker's non-stick paper is silicon-impregnated, but it is porous to moisture, and ripples. Freezer paper may also be silicon-impregnated paper. The translucent base of these latter two is a special vegetable-based paper.

For a reliable non-stick paper, the industrial form of silicon paper mostly comes single-sided. It is known as silicon release paper, sometimes backing or carrier paper. It is common to find it as the backing paper for adhesive tapes and Contact self-adhesive book covering PVC. These silicon release sheets are usually thrown away after the usable PVC film is pealed off. (Brad: These one-sided sheets can be glued down on one side, whilst used non-stick on the other). However, since these backing papers behind the Contact are used only once, and then thrown away, then the layer of silicon needs only to be minimal. Notwithstanding, the silicon is, from our experience, on the whole, more hardy than waxed paper.

Some years ago, we discussed this matter with a silicon paper manufacturer here in Sydney, and they advised us that it depended upon the thickness of silicon used in the process, ie how many layers of silicon film were placed on the paper substrate. We watched the silicon film-forming process in their plant. At the time, we were looking for a reliable double-sided silicon paper, with good weight (above 60gsm) and with decent film thickness to be able to use it constantly, process after process, without any need to throw the sheets away. It was very difficult to find a firm double-sided silicon sheet, as it required more sophisticated manufacturing, and there is less demand for this double-coated state. Finally, we found a good product, white in colour, firm, and above 70 gsm, (minutely even thicker after the silicon layer is taken into account). In our workshop, we then cut up a number of sizes, and use them doubled up, ie folded once to the sizes we require, mostly in pairs. We have used each piece hundreds of times between the eps when casing up, in the press, and we have never needed to replace pieces. They can be gently scraped of any residual dried glue and reused with complete impunity - that is how good the silicon impregnation process is. Another very important aspect is that it doesn't ripple when being used, as ripples can form under pressure, and transfer to the surrounding sheets, which then dry with these ripples. It was important to find the correct silicon sheet which prevented this phenomena, caused by water migrating through the sheets.

I am sure that there is something equivalent in the USA. Paper Coaters is the industry, in your yellow pages.

Many of you may not find the need for such a specific non-stick release paper. However, we found in our restoration work that there were problems with the commonly available papers, and it necessitated us to investigate further to suit our specific needs.

Peter Krantz
Book Restorations
Sydney

Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit