From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter
Krantz
Sent: Monday, 29 May 2006 9:08 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Silicon paper / waxed paper

>I have Non-stick baking paper that has a smooth coating on both sides
>but that is no good - I need one side to be rough so I can glue it
>down.  I have never heard of 'Freezer Paper'.  Do you have a link to
>somewhere online that has a picture of it.  Maybe it goes by a
>different name here in Australia...not sure.

Waxed paper has its limitations, due to the thin film of wax which can lift
off with repeated use, often just single use.  Even heavier waxed sheets can
go this way.  From our experience, the better form of non-stick paper is
silicon-coated paper.  Baker's non-stick paper is silicon-impregnated, but
it is porous to moisture, and ripples.  Freezer paper may also be
silicon-impregnated paper.  The translucent base of these latter two is a
special vegetable-based paper.

For a reliable non-stick paper, the industrial form of silicon paper mostly
comes single-sided.  It is known as silicon release paper, sometimes backing
or carrier paper.  It is common to find it as the backing paper for adhesive
tapes and Contact self-adhesive book covering PVC.  These silicon release
sheets are usually thrown away after the usable PVC film is pealed off.
(Brad:  These one-sided sheets can be glued down on one side, whilst used
non-stick on the other).  However, since these backing papers behind the
Contact are used only once, and then thrown away, then the layer of silicon
needs only to be minimal.
Notwithstanding, the silicon is, from our experience, on the whole, more
hardy than waxed paper.

Some years ago, we discussed this matter with a silicon paper manufacturer
here in Sydney, and they advised us that it depended upon the thickness of
silicon used in the process, ie how many layers of silicon film were placed
on the paper substrate.  We watched the silicon film-forming process in
their plant.  At the time, we were looking for a reliable double-sided
silicon paper, with good weight (above 60gsm) and with decent film thickness
to be able to use it constantly, process after process, without any need to
throw the sheets away.  It was very difficult to find a firm double-sided
silicon sheet, as it required more sophisticated manufacturing, and there is
less demand for this
double-coated state.   Finally, we found a good product, white in
colour, firm, and above 70 gsm, (minutely even thicker after the silicon
layer is taken into account).  In our workshop, we then cut up a number of
sizes, and use them doubled up, ie folded once to the sizes we require,
mostly in pairs.  We have used each piece hundreds of times between the eps
when casing up, in the press, and we have never needed to replace pieces.
They can be gently scraped of any residual dried glue and reused with
complete impunity - that is how good the silicon impregnation process is.
Another very important aspect is that it doesn't ripple when being used, as
ripples can form under pressure, and transfer to the surrounding sheets,
which then dry with these ripples.
It was important to find the correct silicon sheet which prevented this
phenomena, caused by water migrating through the sheets.

I am sure that there is something equivalent in the USA.  Paper Coaters is
the industry, in your yellow pages.

Many of you may not find the need for such a specific non-stick release
paper.  However, we found in our restoration work that there were problems
with the commonly available papers, and it necessitated us to investigate
further to suit our specific needs.

Peter Krantz
Book Restorations
Sydney