To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 6:22 AM
Subject: Re: proofreading

I got this tip once that has always worked well:

Proof read backwards.

Other proofreading tips:

Never proof from a computer screen. Always print a computer
file and proof it on paper.

Also, hold a piece of colored paper under each line as you read it.

Take a break between each proof session. Fresh eyes and brain
are more likely to see mistakes.

Pam

On Jul 5, 2006, at 8:10 PM, Linda M. Cunningham wrote:

Bill Minter writes:

> On Jul 3, 2006, at 10:31 PM, Octavia & Co. Press wrote:
>
>>  6) Learn to hire a real proofreader and hope that they
are good at
>> what  they do (because everyone makes mistakes).
> ******************************
>
> Before the advent of "spellchecker", a friend suggested that I:
> backwards document/letter a proofread to: ---- : to proofread a
> letter/document backwards. Mistakes seem to be much more
obvious, at
> least for spelling.

And if you do hire a professional proofreader, don't hire the
cheapest one.

Another trick of the editorial trade is to proof layouts upside down
-- it's a great way of catching bad punctuation in general,
as well as widows and orphans.

Am reading a quite interesting book called "Type: The Secret
History of Letters," by Simon Loxley (published by I.B.
Tauris).  Type junkies (like me) might find it a pleasant
summer read....

Linda

                                            The Bonefolder,
Vol 2, No 2, Spring 2006 Now Online at