Re: [BKARTS] proofreading

	The first book I wrote ("Sequence Transformations"--- mathematics) was chock full of mistakes, even though I proofread
the manuscript twice.  For my second book, I hired a professional proofreader who worked for a pharmaceutical company.
She did it in her spare time, so it wasn't unduly expensive.  I also paid a graduate student to check all the equations.
	The money I put out was well worth it.
	A proofreader and an author have different paradigms.  The author hopes there are no errors, and his/her wishful
thinking tends to cloud  observational powers.   The proofreader hopes there are mistakes (thus, earning his/her pay.)
	If the ms is large and important, I suggest you find a pro to do the proofreading.
Jet

--

 Jet Foncannon
 Philadelphia, PA  19139

 ON THE OPEN-MINDEDNESS OF SCIENTISTS

	Rabi and Kusch, the former and current chairman of the department [at Columbia University] came into my office...."You
should stop the work you are doing. You know it's not going to work.  We know it's not going to work. You're wasting
money.  Just stop!"
	Llewelyn H. Thomas, a noted Columbia theorist, told me that the maser flatly could not, due to basic physics
principles, provide a pure frequency with the performance I predicted.  So certain was he that he more or less refused
to listen to my explanations. After it did work, he just stopped talking to me.
			Charles S. Townes, "How the Laser Happened."

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
                   Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006