[BKARTS] gilding question

I am looking for a way to preserve the orignal untarnished look of copper and white gold, which was adhered to unvarnished wood with a waterbase gold sizing.

I usually use glair for this kind of preservation on paper, but I don't like the look of  the glair on the gilt on wood- it very much dulled and discolored the gilt.

I had thought about damar varnish, but I don't want a really shiny look. Arcylic varnish had bad results.

Any suggestions for some kind of semigloss or matte varnish that will preserve the gilt?

Thanks very much.

Marilyn Goodrich
Book Artist, Calligrapher
4440 Washington Street