From: Book_Arts-L on behalf of William Minter
Sent: Fri 12/30/2005 13:31
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Copy paper/Laser compatible paper with rag content?

Friends,
I have searched the Archives, but cannot find the information, so I
bring up this topic again.
Recently, we did an edition of eight oral history books that were
photocopied on a 24 lb., 8-1/2" x 11", "Resume Paper" --- a 100% cotton
paper made by SOUTHWORTH Co.
For similar projects in the past, we have used the Cougar Opaque and
Mohawk Superfine papers, but I like the fact that the Resume Paper from
SOUTHWORTH is a rag paper, acid-free and laser compatible. It has a
nice feel for a small, special book.
Unfortunately, the "Resume Paper" is only available as an 8-1/2 x 11.
Also, the paper has a heavy/deep watermark that disfigured the
photographs that were copied (also see note below).
Therefore, I am looking for a copy paper/laser compatible paper,
suitable for books of about 8-1/2 x 11, that has some rag content that
is available in larger sheets  --- about 80 lb. text basis 23 x 35.

Note:  Also of interest when photographs are copied: The Southworth
paper curled excessively due the the heavy application of toner from
the 4" x 6" photographs. According to Craig Jensen, this problem is
quite common and there seems to be no solution, other than using a
heavier paper  ---  that, of course, does not work with a book,
especially where there is both text and photographs. Are there any
other solutions if a book is to be photocopied?

Thanks,
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695