[BKARTS] APHA/Horn Press Reception at CAL RBS West

Dear American Printing History Association Members, Southern California Chapter and potential APHA members:

We are pleased to announce that we have recently revived the inactive APHA Southern California Chapter and are planning some very special events for our members and for potential new members. The new officers for the next two years are Kitty Maryatt, President; Steve MacLeod, Program Chair; Richenda Brim, Secretary; Ryan Hildebrand, Treasurer. Contact information is below.

Our immediate plans for the year 2006 include a reception at Rare Book School West to be held at UCLA on August 2, from 5:30-7:00. The reception is planned especially for our chapter members to get re- acquainted and to invite potential new members to our convivial group. This event is co-sponsored by UCLA's Horn Press, so you will hear the latest on their resusitation as well. Our event will be held in the reception area of the Graduate School of Education and Information building. Parking is $8. You can purchase a ticket from the parking kiosk just off Hilgard at Wyton, and they will direct you to our building. We would be very pleased if you would come to this first meeting of the year.

On September 16 at 2:00 p.m., Gregory Graalfs from the San Francisco area will present a talk about his work with Jack Stauffacher at UC Santa Cruz and on working with Bill Everson on his landmark book Granite & Cypress. Gregory Graalfs has worked in the publishing industry for a numbers of years, and he is currently writing a history of California fine printing. You will receive another letter with more details in a few weeks.

On October 28, we will co-host an afternoon reception with Scripps College Press in Claremont at an exhibition titled Too Much Bliss: Twenty Years of Granary Books. The reception will be followed by the Frederic W. Goudy Lecture given by publisher Steven Clay. Granary Books has produced over one hundred outstanding publications as an independent publisher for the past twenty years. Publications include artist books, books on poetry and music, and scholarly writing about the art and history of books.

Another exciting afternoon event planned is the Annual General Meeting in November, either the 4th or 11th, held at the Getty Research Institute. Our special guest Joyce Ludmer, Curator of Artists' Books, will make a presentation of selected books from their remarkable collection.

In 2007, on January 27, we will again co-host a reception with Scripps College Press at an exhibition and symposium on the long- ranging effects of Mallarmé's extraordinary poem Un Coup de Dès on the artists' books movement. Our dream team of invited speakers include Betty Bright, Johanna Drucker, Judd Hubert, Clifton Meador and Buzz Spector.

On May 19 or 26, 2007, Harvey Mudd College Professor Jeff Groves will give a presentation about the Columbian hand press in Honnold Library at the Claremont Colleges.

The annual APHA symposium will be held at UCLA in the Fall of 2007, which is a fantastic opportunity to hear stellar presentations as well as a genial conclave to meet with your colleagues.

We are also very interested in emerging artists and expect to highlight work from printing and book arts programs in our wide- ranging area. Other exciting activities are being planned, and we would love to have you join us at these events.

We want to hear from you about programs that you would like us to organize. Feel free to contact any of us. Also, please let us know if you are interested in giving a presentation for the APHA Chapter. We are also actively looking for a coordinator for our Master Calendar as a benefit to members who would find such a calendar useful for planning attendance at the many book arts activities in our area.

The cost of membership to join the national American Printing History Association is $45. Please consider joining the newly active Southern California Chapter of APHA for an additional $15. Our area includes all of Southern California from the southern border up to and including San Luis Obispo County. Please visit printinghistory.org for a membership application and detailed information about this vibrant organization.

We are excited about the possibilites for intellectual stimulation and forming new friendships through our common interest in printing history and look forward to hearing from you.

Warmly,

Kitty Maryatt, President of the Southern California Chapter of APHA
Director of the Scripps College Press
Business: Scripps College, 1030 Columbia Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711
Business Telephone: (909) 607-3866
Business e-mail: KMaryatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Studio: 5350 Playa Vista Drive Unit 12, Playa Vista, CA 90094
Studio Telephone: (310) 439-2135
Studio e-mail: twohandspress@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Steve MacLeod, Program Chair
Public Services Coordinator, Special Collections
Business: University of California, Irvine Libraries, Langston Library 500, P.O. Box 19557, Irvine CA 92623-9557
Business Telephone: (949) 824-4967
Business e-mail: smacleod@xxxxxxxxxxx

Richenda Brim, Secretary
Head of Collection Maintenance
Business: Getty Research Institute, 1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 1100, Los Angeles, CA 90049
Business Telephone: (310) 440-7494
Business e-mail: rbrim@xxxxxxxxx

Ryan Hildebrand, Treasurer
Special Collections and Archives Cataloger
Business: University of California, Irvine Libraries, Langston Library 500, P.O. Box 19557, Irvine CA 92623-9557
Business Telephone: (949) 824-2263
Business e-mail: hildebrj@xxxxxxxxxxx

Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006