[BKARTS] Fwd: Workshop with Shanna Leino in SLC, UTAH

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ethan Ensign <eensign@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jul 19, 2006 2:45 PM
Subject: Workshop with Shanna Leino in SLC, UTAH
To: listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi to everyone!  I would have posted this sooner, but I wasn't on the
listserv until a few days ago!
We still have a few spaces left in this workshop, and if you are in the area
and interested give us a call!

Scrub Oak Bindery is proud to announce our next workshop in Salt Lake City.

Late Coptic Binding with Shanna Leino
August 4th-5th and 11th-12th, 2006

Focusing on book production practiced in Egypt during the seventh to
eleventh centuries, students will each build a book with laminated papyrus
boards, covered in elaborately worked leather.  We will blind tool, punch,
pierce, lace and stitch the leather BEFORE covering. A peg and strap closure
will be fashioned from bone or brass and leather.  The range of textures,
handwork techniques and the feel and weight of the completed book are what
make this structure particularly unique and exquisite!

As a two-weekend workshop, participants would make their boards, get the
book sewn and the instruction on how to carry out the leatherwork, then
during the week they would work on and complete the leatherwork.  Scrub Oak
Bindery's studio space will be open during the week to allow our students to
come in and complete their leatherwork. The following weekend we would sew
endbands, cover the book, make and attach our peg and clasp closures.

Please refer to the attached photo to see a sample of the binding you can
expect to create.  Also, for further pictures and possible design variations
of this binding, click on the following websites:
http://www.blueoakbindery.com/historical01.html
http://www.blueoakbindery.com/other01.html
http://www.centerforbookarts.org/newsite/classes/classdetail.asp?classeventID=344
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/conservation/models/catagories/early%20codex/m-57.htm

Shanna Leino is a studio artist living in Harrisville, New Hampshire. She
divides her time in the studio between one-of-a-kind books, traditional book
structures and working with steel and brass to make hand tools for
bookbinding. Shanna has taught book arts and papermaking in Cortona, Italy,
for the University of Georgia's Studies Abroad Program. Nationally, she has
taught workshops for the Paper and Book Intensive, the University of Iowa,
Columbia College Chicago Center for Book & Paper Arts, Garage Annex School
for Book Arts, and the New York Chapter of the Guild of Book Workers.

Class will cost $400.00 plus a $40.00 materials fee.

Please contact Scrub Oak Bindery, located above Sam Weller's Bookstore in
downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, at 801-718-4874 to reserve a seat in this
workshop.

Sincerely,
Betsey Stout
Scrub Oak Bindery