[BKARTS] Salary Research

We are revising my collections conservation position description with an
eye to raising it to a more realistic (higher) classification and
increasing the salary, and I would like any information on relevant pay
scales where the circumstances are similar.  Right now, because of a
prejudice against "handwork", which was viewed as menial by our HR
staff, the position is classified as a "service level VII" job (Service
has eleven levels), which is the same as the mail clerks, with the
salary and benefits the same as well. If you have a position running a
conservation lab in a university, do hands on work yourself and are not
just an administrator, do not have a Masters of Library Science degree,
and would be willing to share the salary range with me, I would be very
grateful.  There was no such position before I came 11 years ago, and I
created the lab we have with a small budget allotted, have one student
worker, do repairs to items in our circulating collections as well as
special collections, and all of the record keeping, purchasing,
training, and reporting myself.  If you can share a little bit about
your education and position responsibilities, that is a bonus, but all I
have been asked to gather is current salary information, so if you'd
rather not, that is ok.  Any information you can share will be held in
the strictest confidence and will be shared only with my boss and our
new HR guy with no names attached, though I will probably need to say
which schools are represented. Please respond privately to msharp @
purdue.edu (take out spaces).

Thank you for any help you can give!

Maureen Sharp