From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom
Bennick
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 6:38 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Book press and function

I recently acquired a cast iron book press.  I have several presses
but haven't seen one quite like this one and so I ask the list.  The
wheel on the press is under the cross arms rather than on top.  Also,
on top of the arms at the top there are two yokes on each side.  They
stick up about 5 inches with a slot that is about 2 inches deep.
There is also a small hole for a screw or bolt on each of the arms. I
hope the description is vivid enough to ask what kind of press is
this and its use.  The second question is how to repair the cast iron
press.  When it was delivered it was apparently dropped and the
bottom of the press was broken.  I'm waiting for the insurance to
come through. One side is broken off as a piece about 5 inches by 6
inches and  the length of the press.  It is about 17 inches across
the base so I have a broken piece that is 5 inches by 6 inches by 17
inches.  I realize welding cast iron is almost impossible but are
there other methods or do I sell for scrap?

Thanks.

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
                   Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit