Re: [BKARTS] selling e-books on-line

Jessica

I have been selling ebooks (pdfs) at my makingbooks.com website for about 2 years. Buyers pay through Paypal which is very easy to set up and takes a very modest fee. I have it set up that after payment a window comes up with instructions for downloading-and a Download Now button so most sales go through without any effort on my part. The negative to the way I have it set up- payment leads to a download window- is that I can't have a shopping cart which makes it harder for people to buy multiple items.

Paypal sends me a separate notification after each sale and I have my mail set up to automatically respond with a message thanking the buyer for the purchase and saying that if they had any problem with the download, let me know and I will email them the book. I would say this happens maybe one in every 20-25 sales. Sometimes people will have trouble losing the file or not being able to open it and it may take a few emails back and forth to settle it. This all used to make me very nervous in the beginning but now I take it in stride. Most people are very pleasant and a few are somewhat hostile (I paid and I don't have my book and what are you going to do about).

I used Clickbank in the beginning and I don't remember exactly why I made the switch. I think they were a little more expensive and they did require an upfront fee which paypal does not. Other than that, it all worked the same way. I also think Paypal is good because it is so widely used because of ebay so people are comfortable with it. I also have an order form on the website that can be printed out and mailed to me for people who are not comfortable with online transactions. I don't get a lot of these but there are people who still prefer to pay the old fashioned way. I then email them the books when I get the order.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any more specific questions and want to contact me off list, please do. And you can see the website at http://www.makingbooks.com/bookstore.html

Good luck.

in good spirit
Susan