Re: [BKARTS] Book press and function

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tom
> Bennick
> Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 5:38 PM

  I realize welding cast iron is almost impossible but are
> there other methods or do I sell for scrap?

Welding cast iron has always been difficult because the high heat required
can crack and warp the iron. There are now some newer methods that don't
require the high heat, although they may be expensive. (Check with a metal
fabrication shop.)

I had an old cast iron skillet that my grandfather had welded the handle
back onto using brass. It wasn't pretty, but the darned thing lasted another
50 years. (Perhaps longer - but my grandmother gave it to me, I used it for
about 25 years and then passed it on....)

Lee

Lee Kirk
"Cats are composed of Matter, Anti-Matter, and It Doesn't Matter."
The Prints & The Paper - for old, odd, and unusual books, photographs,
postcards, and other paper ephemera
http://www.kirksbooks.com
http://www.tomfolio.com/shop/leekirk
PO Box 5432
Eugene, OR 97405 United States
PH: 541-683-7033
VISA MASTERCARD AMERICAN EXPRESS DISCOVER and PAYPAL accepted.

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
                   Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006