Re: [BKARTS] Salary Research

Hi Maureen,

You should be able to find the position descriptions and classification
(which can be converted into salary range pretty easily) for the Library of
Congress conservation lab. Try clicking around their website till you find
the HR office, www.loc.gov

Carol
Carol Pulin, director
American Print Alliance
302 Larkspur Turn, Peachtree City GA 30269
www.PrintAlliance.org, director@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Date:    Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:36:54 -0400
> From:    "Sharp, Maureen K." <msharp@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Salary Research
>
> We are revising my collections conservation position description with an
> eye to raising it to a more realistic (higher) classification and
> increasing the salary, and I would like any information on relevant pay
> scales where the circumstances are similar.  Right now, because of a
> prejudice against "handwork", which was viewed as menial by our HR
> staff, the position is classified as a "service level VII" job (Service
> has eleven levels), which is the same as the mail clerks, with the
> salary and benefits the same as well. If you have a position running a
> conservation lab in a university, do hands on work yourself and are not
> just an administrator, do not have a Masters of Library Science degree,
> and would be willing to share the salary range with me, I would be very
> grateful.  There was no such position before I came 11 years ago, and I
> created the lab we have with a small budget allotted, have one student
> worker, do repairs to items in our circulating collections as well as
> special collections, and all of the record keeping, purchasing,
> training, and reporting myself.  If you can share a little bit about
> your education and position responsibilities, that is a bonus, but all I
> have been asked to gather is current salary information, so if you'd
> rather not, that is ok.  Any information you can share will be held in
> the strictest confidence and will be shared only with my boss and our
> new HR guy with no names attached, though I will probably need to say
> which schools are represented. Please respond privately to msharp @
> purdue.edu (take out spaces).
>
> Thank you for any help you can give!
>
> Maureen Sharp