[BKARTS] Betty Bright talk, Portland OR 8/12

As part of our current Collins Gallery exhibition, "Treasures of the
John Wilson Special Collections," we are pleased to present an
illustrated lecture by Betty Bright on Saturday, August 12, 2:00-3:30
p.m. in Central Library's U. S. Bank Room (address below).

Betty Bright is an independent scholar, curator and teacher. She
received a doctorate in art history from the University of Minnesota,
and is the author of a recent important critical work, NO LONGER
INNOCENT: BOOK ART IN AMERICA, 1960-1980 (Granary Books, 2005), the
first history to trace the emergence of the artist's book in the United
States during the 1960s and 1970s. She co-founded the Minnesota Center
for Book Arts, served as program director for nine years, and curated
more than 50 exhibitions.

Please join us for Betty's talk, and then take a look at the exhibition
which features work from all areas of our special collections, including
contemporary book arts.  Artists exhibited include Catherine Alice
Michaelis (May Day Press); Emily Larned (Red Charming Press); Claire Van
Vliet (Janus Press); Sandy Tilcock (lone goose press); Jessica Spring
(Springtide Press); Diane Jacobs (Scantron Press), Jules Remedios Faye
(Street of Crocodiles Printery), Chris Stern (Grey Spider Press), and
Kathy Kuehn (Salient Seedling Press).  Works by William Morris, Walter
Hamady, and Leonard Baskin are also on exhibit.

For more information, see:
http://www.multcolib.org/events/collins/treasuresjwsc.html or contact
John Wilson Special Collections Librarian Jim Carmin at 503.988.6287 or
jimc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

     Jim Carmin
     John Wilson Special Collections Librarian
     Multnomah County Library
     801 SW 10th Avenue
     Portland, OR 97205
     jimc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx