Re: [BKARTS] Powdery Leather

Buy Cellugel. It's Klucel G in isopropyl (I think) and it acts as a consolidant. Brush on and let dry. It will not strength the leather, but it will reduce the amount of red rot (that's what powdered leather is called) that gets where you don't want it. Cellugel can be ordered from Gaylord, <http://www.gaylord.com>, among other archival vendors.

p.

Hi everyone.
I just joined this list, and am a fledgling (ish) book artist.. but I have a
question about an old book of mine. The leather has gone all powdery and
leaves dark brownish black stains on anything it touches. The leather is
still quite sturdy, but is there any way that I can stop it from powdering
into nonexistence?

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!

Kel.