[BKARTS] FAMILY ALBUM Exhibition Opening @ Asheville BookWorks

FAMILY ALBUM:
An Exhibition of Paper Art by Shannon Brock

An Art Opening and Exhibition

Where: Asheville BookWorks, 428 1/2 Haywood Road, West Asheville
When: Thursday, August 24th, 2006, 6:00 to 9:00 pm
What: Art Exhibition and Opening Celebration
What Else: Wine & Beer (donations appreciated!)
Who: Contact Laurie Corral or Bridget Elmer at 828-255-8444 or info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Family Album is an exhibition of paper art by Shannon Brock that focuses on her experiences while growing up on a small farm in eastern Missouri. Using images from the rural and economically depressed surroundings of her youth, Shannon captures the beauty of people and places, their failures and their triumphs. Family Album is an exhibition showcasing Shannon's work, providing a dedicated space for her explorations of family, identity and origin.

Shannon explains, “Family has always been an extremely important part of my life. My family members' relationships with one another, the people we became, the choices we made and our expectations of each other, provide me with much of my subject matter”.

“As a small child, we had a front yard full of dandelions. They were flowers to me when I was young, but as a teenager it was embarrassing to know that what we had was really a yard full of weeds. Now, as an adult living in New York City for the past 11 years, I can see those dandelions as flowers again. They are now a source of reassurance and a sense of home.”

BookWorks is thrilled to host Shannon for her Family Album exhibition, which will run at the Gallery through mid-September. She will also teach two workshops at BookWorks in the paper arts. See the Workshops page on the Asheville BookWorks website (www.ashevillebookworks.com) for more information about her classes, Basic Papermaking & More and Pulp Painting: Beyond the Squeeze Bottle.

ASHEVILLE BOOKWORKS offers a full spectrum of hands-on workshops including bookbinding, printmaking and papermaking. Their instructors are mostly drawn from the immensely talented and growing book arts community here in western North Carolina, many of whom are nationally and internationally recognized.

SHANNON BROCK has been the Artistic Director and production papermaker at Carriage House Paper in Brooklyn, NY since 1996. She began making paper sculptures in 1991 at the Kansas City Art Institute where, in 1995, she received her BFA in Fiber. Shannon teaches workshops in pulp painting, pulp spraying and sculptural papermaking year-round at various studios along the East Coast, including Carriage House Paper, Pyramid Atlantic, The Center for Contemporary Printmaking, Seastone Papers, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Women's Studio Workshop, Parsons School of Design and Rutgers Center for Innovative Print and Paper. She also served as an Adjunct Professor at Montclair State University in 2003. Shannon's works on paper have been exhibited throughout the United States. In addition, she participated in the portfolios, Watermarks in Handmade Paper: Modern and Historic and The Art of Pulp Painting published by Hand Papermaking, Inc. Her pulp painting, Poor Kids Have Lawns of Dandelions will be featured in the new book, Papermaking for Printmakers by Elspeth Lamb and published by A & C Black in England.
Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006