Re: [BKARTS] Susan Wojcicki and Books at Google

I read the article as well and found that it raised some interesting questions.
I don't think Google's intention is to create a library to charge fees or to own what they copy. But the fact that they have a digital copy is a sticky issue if it is not in the public domain.

I think what they are doing is creating a distribution point for searchable information on printed books. Imagine going to the library looking up a particular book and it had a very detailed description of the book's contents in the library's database complete with images as well as text.

What I think they are trying to do is become an online lookup engine for everything that has been printed - a rather daunting task. It has it's advantages - one is that it would be very convenient to find the out of print books and see what they have in them. It could be a lucrative partnership with the publishers in that it would lead people to a particular book they are looking for. I think the sticking point is who it is the most lucrative for.

I don't think Google wants to sell the scanned material. They want to provide "snippets" of the content within the copyright law that allows anyone to read and possibly use the snippet say in a research paper. But they could reap a lot of money from having this kind of database from several avenues. One is that it draws more people to their portal - that's means more visibility for other kinds of advertising. It gives them an edge over other search portals such as MSN and Yahoo.

The web is changing how we access information and how we distribute it - case in point the iTunes model of bypassing the general channels of selling and distributing music. The hard part is knowing where the value is being placed and who is getting the most value. The large corporate publishers are I am sure worried about missing a big portion of the money pie. And that is hard to gage for the future. This is bound to be wrapped around the licensing.

The times they are changing really fast!