Re: [BKARTS] Moskva and St. Petersburg

OH MY GOD!

St. Petersburg, at least center city is amazing. If she likes Opera, she can
go on line to the Mariinsky Theatre in St. P, and see what's playing. The
theatre is the most beautiful I have ever seen.  I saw one opera there.

The Russian National Museum
The Hermitage
The Pushkin Theatre

Pavlovsk a city about 40 minutes away, wonderful, my favorite Palace and
good kiosks to buy things. Not sure about the spelling, but has old houses
made from wood, very beautiful and the palace is almost human scale compared
to the others.
Pushkin, the city with Catherine The Great's palace and the amber room, and
neat large Dutch tiled stoves to heat it.
	This is the place to buy amber.
Peterhof, where all the heads of state meet. It was a summer palace, about
20 kilometers west of St. P, on the Gulf of Finland.
	Peterhof has the best outdoor kiosks to buy things.  If she's at the end of
the summer, she'll be at the end of their season and bargain
		a lot. The first price is usually 5 or 6 times the end cost.

The Hotel Europa has women's bathrooms that qualify as tourist sights. Don't
know about the men's rooms

On Nevsky Prospect, not so far from the Hermitage is a buffet type
restaurant named Stroganoff's.

Saint Isaac's is unbelievable.
The Church of the Spilt Blood is like a fairyland
	The market just down from there is good, too.

The summer palace.
The boat ride around the canals is really informative.

The synagogue was almost done when I was there last, in May, 2003. It's so
beautiful and unlike all the other buildings.

Bring new American money. No marks on it and not folded. The kiosk
tradespersons like it.

I'm told that all the kiosks are run by the Russian mafia and we shouldn't
buy.   I liked the people and had fun buying.

I was never in Moscow.
But I can't wait to get back to St. Petersburg, I usually stay with friends
in Lomonosov, 40 kilometers west of St. Pete.

When is your friend going?
Les

Leslie A.Miller
ORIGINAL PAPERCUTS