Re: [BKARTS] ownership marking of books

There is the question of whether ownership marks are indeed defacement. For example, my 1548 Aldine Cicero ad Atticum contains ownership marks both personal and institutional. I regard them as part of the history of the copy. Of course, it helps that some of the marks are several hundred years old.

///ark

----- Original Message ----- From: "J Godsey" <gods1216@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 8:32 AM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] ownership marking of books

I am not a insititutional professional and I have what may seem a stupid question.

Instead of using clearly 19th century technology to mark and deface books
Why can 21st century technology be used?

I have microchips in all my pets, why NOT insert them into the spines of books?

j. godsey

http://www.bibliophilebullpen.com/