Re: [BKARTS] ownership marking of books

I can think of several possible reasons, among them: 1) the process of inserting the microchips is likely to damage fragile bindings in the short term; 2) glues used to adhere the microchips may deteriorate, causing long-term damage; and 3) microchips may or may not help track a book after it is stolen, but being nearly invisible, won't provide much of a deterrent to theft in the first place.

Finally, conservators are quite rightly conservative(!) about what they do to rare books and manuscripts under their care. In some cases tested (tho' clunky) technology with a proven track record may be better for the object than the "latest thing," no matter how technologically sophisticated it may be.