[BKARTS] NCR paper; was Itchy hand syndrome

No Carbon Required (NCR) papers have been problematic since they
came on the market nearly 50 years ago.

A proprietary chemical is encapsulated in a base of methyl
cellulose on one sheet of paper.  A reactive dye follows the
marks (writing or typing) as the chemical bleeds, allowing
copies to be made without carbon paper.

Some people are sensitive to the chemical or dye and develop
contact dermatitis.

Touching it doesn't bother me, but I don't care for the smell.

Jack

(snip)
>Twenty-five years ago in another life, when I worked in the catalog
>dept of our university library, there were two people in that
>department who had developed a skin sensitivity to certain kinds of
>paper.  The culprits seemed to be NCR paper
(snip)

Carol
Eugene, OR

Thompson Conservation Lab.