Re: [BKARTS] RFID tags (was ownership markings on books)

The technology used to secure the current collections of
libraries world wide is long overdue for an update. The current
technology was invented by a kid (twelve years old,) and was
marketed by 3M in the fifties to first to actuate gate locks to
keep bulls in their coralls while heffers could have free
access.

The system uses folded ferris metal strips three to six inches
long which when magnatised are innert to RF activation and do
not resonate to a RF field of a certain frequency.

This strips are usually threaded into the spines of books and
are easily removed, since they are quite visable and easily
identified by would be book theives.

They may also be thwarted by using a small bar magnet to
magnetise the strip and render it innert.

Newer RFID technology, making use of smaller chips that are not
so obvious or easily defeated will make libraries much more
secure, and provide greater safety for collections.

MaiKätzchen

Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

From the book, Charge of the Goddess
BY: Doreen Valiente