[BKARTS] Heavily applied leather treatment.

I am currently repairing a 1694 full leather calf bound book that has been
heavily treated with some leather treatment.  This is unfortunate as the
book is English and is a Cambridge style binding which has also been heavily
shellacked.   The front cover has been successfully tacketed.  I am
considering using the Don Etherington method of using kozo that has been
treated in a colour sympathetic to the leather along the outside shoulder.

My question is how can I minimise the leather treatment so that the new
repair will properly adhere to the old leather?  I have tried using a soft
chamois but this still doesn’t take away a lot of the leather treatment.

Any suggestions?

Mercedes

pantheon.group@sympatico.