[BKARTS] bindery pests / insects

from my colleague,  Mary Baughman <m.c.boffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: press room / bindery pests

Insect bombs do not work well.
An insect bomb tends to leave an oily or sticky mess all over the area where it is used.
For many insects the bomb doesn't actually work at all, because the insects seek shelter under or inside of something, so the insecticide doesn't come in contact with them. This was my experience with an infestation of beetles in some horse riding saddles.

Spiders indicate that other insects are present. The use of sticky blunder traps to identify any other pests will help determine the best course to follow. A good general resource book to look at is:

Common-Sense Pest Control, by Olkowski and Daar, covers pesticides, insect behavior, solutions for problems, and is probably available in any large book store. Taunton Press, 63 South Main St., Box 5506, Newtown, CT 06470-5506 telephone (203) 426-8171 fax (203) 426-3434 (ISBN 0-942391-63-2)

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:39:30 EDT From: Leonard Seastone <LSeastone@xxxxxxx> Subject: press room / bindery pests

<snip>I feel the need to bomb the space, but I am concerned about the effects on paper and equipment. Are there any among us that has had and solved this type
of problem?
--

-- Olivia Primanis Senior Book Conservator Harry Ransom Center The University of Texas at Austin P: 512-471-9117 www.hrc.utexas.edu

Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit