Re: [BKARTS] bindery pests / insects

I have used Combat traps successfully for small insects such as ants. They are the only ones that seem to work besides sticky traps. I concur about the bug bombs; a pesticide professional might be useful when there are so many different tools, materials and works of value being considered here. One of my other "hats" is volunteer restoration of prairie and woodland areas, and in order to become a steward, I had to pass a pesticide operators' test (to spray herbicide on invasive species of plants so the native ones have half a chance to survive). I can't go into details here, but the upshot is that there is something specific for just about every kind of pest, and there are a lot of different generalized insecticides around too. You really should call in a professional who knows their work thoroughly. The vapors are extremely volatile, in most cases and might spread to the materials. Without taking absolutely everything out, cleaning every vertical, horizontal and other surface of the room and caulking absolutely every crack, it's going to be difficult to prevent recurrance. You have a challenge here. Best of luck, tho! I am sure it's soluble. Blunder traps and the course of action suggested here is a great first step.

Kathy G

The work of an individual still remains the spark that moves mankind forward. – Igor Sikorsky

On Aug 24, 2006, at 5:15 PM, Olivia Primanis wrote:

from my colleague,  Mary Baughman <m.c.boffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: press room / bindery pests

Insect bombs do not work well.
An insect bomb tends to leave an oily or sticky mess all over the area where it is used.
For many insects the bomb doesn't actually work at all, because the insects seek shelter under or inside of something, so the insecticide doesn't come in contact with them. This was my experience with an infestation of beetles in some horse riding saddles.

Spiders indicate that other insects are present. The use of sticky blunder traps to identify any other pests will help determine the best course to follow. A good general resource book to look at is:

Common-Sense Pest Control, by Olkowski and Daar, covers pesticides, insect behavior, solutions for problems, and is probably available in any large book store. Taunton Press, 63 South Main St., Box 5506, Newtown, CT 06470-5506 telephone (203) 426-8171 fax (203) 426-3434 (ISBN 0-942391-63-2)

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:39:30 EDT From: Leonard Seastone <LSeastone@xxxxxxx> Subject: press room / bindery pests

<snip>I feel the need to bomb the space, but I am concerned about the effects on paper and equipment. Are there any among us that has had and solved this type
of problem?
--

-- Olivia Primanis Senior Book Conservator Harry Ransom Center The University of Texas at Austin P: 512-471-9117 www.hrc.utexas.edu

Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit