Re: [BKARTS] Binder board

Robert,
I would be concerned that the paper would become delaminated over time on a board like this. Also the paper keeps the glue from penetrating so you are totally dependent upon the strength of the paper to inners bond. I doubt also that it is heavy enough to bind the large books that I do all the time 22"X12".
I don't use Davey board either because of the cost and shipping costs. I use a local millboard from a bindery supply house.I buffer my starch paste with lots of calcium carbonate as well as using buffered endpapers which hopefully will handle any residual acid which develops over time. The millboard is neutral pH but not buffered.
I don't use any chip board because I haven't found that it wears well.
Dave

Octavia & Co. Press wrote:
What I am using is not mat board, but mounting board. The supplier says
that it is the same a davey board, but denser (I think he means
compressed) and is layered, but it also has a sheet of paper on both
sides. I have found that the grain runs long. Most of our books are
8.5x5.5", but we also bind theses and larger books in the same. The
measurements of the board is 28x44".

When we use it, we cut it on a large mat cutting unit (wall unit) and
then sand down the edges.

Hope this helps folks.

Robert

Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit