Re: [BKARTS] Nipping or standing press materials

On Aug 25, 2006, at 10:42 PM, Esther Kibby wrote:

Can anyone tell me why the nipping or standing press is open on all sides?
How else would you build a bookbinder's press?

Also what is the history of the choice of wood for a press and the pressing boards? I have heard birch it the best. Is it because of the smooth grain and strength? I have also heard maple and oak. I know that maple is smooth and oak has more of grain but would be a third choice.
I prefer boards of MDF (medium density fiberboard -- like that used in countertops). It is very smooth and stable (less likely to split or crack), and when both sides are covered with a plastic laminate, it is easily cleaned. The plain MDF can also be sealed with polyurethane for a more natural look.

Alternatively, I use two sheets of binder board covered with Mylar. The binder board is a bit softer so, if for example, a new book cover is nipped, the outer area of the turn-ins are not polished. The Mylar covered board is easy cleaned, and this pressing board is not damaged, if any adhesive was present. I have used the same pressing board for years and years.

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020