[BKARTS] Garage Annex School for Book Arts: Remaining workshops for 2006. Easthampton, MA.

The Garage Annex School for Book Arts in Easthampton, MA has four more
excellent workshops scheduled for 2006.

Please visit <http://www.GarageAnnexSchool.com> for more complete workshop
descriptions, images, and registration information.

If you have never visited the Archive section on our site, please do! Let
us know what you are interested in studying, and with whom. We are
putting together our 2007 schedule so it is a good time to give us your
input.

Stationary Departures with Hedi Kyle; October 21-22
Hedi has designed the new Stationary Departures workshop to focus on book
structures folded from one or two sheets of paper. In addition, you will
explore integrating envelopes into your structures, create boxes, and
make folders. Much of the material you use in this workshop will be of
the type typically purchased at a stationery store. Beginning with these
simple and readily-available materials, you will depart from the ordinary
and move to the extraordinary as you develop content for your projects--
playing with various printed papers as well as markmaking materials such
as rubber stamps.

The Royal Workshop with Linda Lembke and Jeannie M. Hunt; November 4-5
What might it have been like to work as a bookmaker in the Islamic world
in the Middle Ages?
You will create a small sample book incorporating several hands-on
exercises reflecting Islamic bookmaking traditions: toning and burnishing
paper, designing and ruling out pages, sprinkling margins with gold,
lettering with reed pens, transferring designs with templates and pounce,
painting with gouache, and sewing. At the end of the workshop we will
make simple covers and portfolios to hold these sample books.
You do not need to be a calligrapher or painter to benefit from and enjoy
this workshop. All levels of experience are welcome.

Creating Decorative Papers by Hand with Leni Fried; November 18-19
Printmaking is one of the earliest and most basic forms of mark making.
We will stamp, roll, press, smear, draw, and explore the limits of oil
base printing inks on thin Japanese kozo papers. We will print from
natural materials, found objects, wall papers, salt and relief printing
plates. Stenciling, cutouts, monotype, and multiple plate printing will
be covered.
Expect to produce up to 30 papers during this printing marathon!
These papers will be suitable for collage and book work and all kinds of
art making.
Setting up a hand printing studio of your own will also be discussed.
Non-toxic, solvent-free clean up.
All levels of experience are welcome.

Thin Metal Over Boards Meets the Gutter Wire with Daniel E. Kelm;
December 2-3
Metal foil is an exciting alternative to the traditional covering
materials used in books.
Learn how to evaluate the appropriateness of metal as a possible
substitute for paper, cloth, or leather. Also, explore the decoration of
metals--including brass, copper, silver, lead, iron, tin, and aluminum--by
examining many examples that have been patinated using chemical and/or
heat treatments, debossed, sandblasted, cut, drilled, incised or abraded.
You can expect to (1) become acquainted with metals, (2) learn an
interesting wire edge structure, and (3) complete the binding shown here.

Greta D. Sibley
One Cottage Street #5
Easthampton, MA 01027
413-529-0070