From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Don
Drake
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:29 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Paper Art...laser cut?

An inexpensive oil stone or wet/dry sandpaper mounted on glass or 1/4"
or greater plex will extend the life of those xacto blades by 100X...
maybe 1000X or more! I have several xactos on hand and I haven't
changed blades for 5 years (though one blade is now about 1/2 it's
original length).

Sharpening these blades is a good first-excursion into sharpening in
because they are small and the need to achieve a sophisticated edge is
very low (as opposed to a paring knife, plane iron or spokeshave blade.
Often the 'edge' is not important at all, just that they are pointy
(the first 1/16" of the blade).

Save the money and learn a new skill!

Regards,
Don Drake
Dreaming Mind

ddrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IM: stitchbyhand
http://www.dreamingmind.com
http://www.hughstump.com
(510) 537-9711

On Aug 31, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Carol Pratt wrote:

> Needless to say, he went through LOTS of blades, since the point was
> all he used, and it had to be really really sharp.

Guild of Book Workers' 100th Anniversary Exhibition Now Online - Catalog
Available

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
                   Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit