Re: [BKARTS] book binding or book cloth tape

Those wide sticky tapes are often used for down-and-dirty, quick ways to repair spines, add reinforcement to corners, or as an expedient replacement for bookcloth in small areas or craft applications. It's not inexpensive, and the color range is pretty limited! Paper Source often uses it in their bookbinding classes, but my sense is that a professional bookbinder would avoid it like the plague, preferring instead to use regular bookcloth - purchased or home-made - for their purposes. Bookcloth has the advantage of being fairly repositionable when still wet, unlike the sticky tape.

I remember going thru a few rolls of wide book tape when the spines of our church's hymnals and Books of Common Prayer were getting all ripped up and we were still some years away from replacements. Miserable effort, trying to get the glue off your scissors!! : / This was twenty years ago, and long before I made any books myself. Actually my frustration with the tape and lack of easily-available repair information was one of the things that made me want to take classes in bookbinding later on....
Kathy G

Hello -
In browsing supplies from various sources, I've run across reference to two
kinds of book binding tape. I'm wondering what you do with it and whether
it's any good and does anyone actually use it.

There's the "binding tape" from a place that appears to be mostly scrapbooks
(about which I know very little)

http://www.makingmemories.com/products/details/book_binding.cfm

and there's "cloth tape" from Paper Source

http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/bookbinding/cloth_tape.html

It seems kind of handy, but I'm not sure what for. Any ideas?

Selene

P.S. I couldn't find discussion of this in the archives, so my apologies if
you've talked this to death and my search skills are lacking. If you direct
me to a thread title, I'll research. Thanks.

Guild of Book Workers' 100th Anniversary Exhibition Now Online - Catalog
Available

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
                   Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit