Re: [BKARTS] Chicago and Book Arts

I "quote myself" from a previous post on this list     ;-)

There are "just a few" book & paper must sees in Chicago.....
Your first stop should be Columbia College Chicago Center for Book & Paper
Arts where you can always see a terrific new exhibition. If you were going
to be her before the 23rd of Sept you could see an exhibition   called "A
Movable Feast:
Pop-ups, Volvelles, Tunnels, Flaps and Other Movable Books." The mountains of

material are drawn from 3 private collections and spotlight the "Gods" of
paper
engineering. Very important is the work of Vojtech Kubasta, a Czech artist
and
paper engineer who is credited with being the inspiration of most of the
greats
working today. Probably when you get here next spring we will have one of our

thesis exhibiton in the galleries. Check our web site: www.bookandpaper.org.
The Center's gallery is open from 10 am to 6 pm Monday thru Saturday. If you
call ahead I would be happy to schedule a private tour for you. I will also
give you a peek at the studios here at the Center.

Also, on your itinerary should be the Joan Flasch Artists' book collection at

the Flaxman Library of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago at 37 S.
Wabash, 5th. floor. It is best you call 312-899-5098 first.

The Newberry Library a great research library and a great treasure which is
open to the public. They are at 60 W. Walton St. (www.newberry.org).

There is also the Deering Library at Northwestern University and the
Regenstein Library at the University of Chicago both worth looking into. (if
you
choose to go to the University of Chicago, the Oriental Institute, several
blocks
from the Regenstein is also a must)

Then I assume you would want to stop by the Art Institute of Chicago
(Michigan and Adams) (www.artic.edu) Always interesting thing going on there
besides
the world-class permanent collections. While you are in that neighborhood,
walk
across the street to Millennium Park, the newest and most popular tourist
destination in the city.

In the way of retail...AIKO Art Material, the oldest (I think) Japanese Paper

store in the country is at 3347 N. Clark St. (773) 404-5600. They are closed
on Sunday & Monday and open until 5:00 other days. Really a national treasure

and worth the visit.

The original "Paper Source" which now has some 19 stores in the country is a
real treat to visit. Lots of paper and related items.

Now if you want the REAL long list, call me.    ;-)

Bill Drendel
Gallery Coordinator
Columbia Book & Paper Center
1104 S. Wabash Ave.
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6684

Guild of Book Workers' 100th Anniversary Exhibition Now Online - Catalog
Available

                     Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
                    Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006