[BKARTS] Book places in Washington, DC

Debra,

The Library of Congress!  Both Jefferson and Madison buildings.

You can get your readers card at the Madison Building, and (if you have a particular area of study/interest) request access to the rare book collection on the second floor of the Jefferson Building. It might be good to contact them ahead of time. The Lessing Rosenwald Collection has been called "the jewel in the Library's crown." Readers Cards: http://www.loc.gov/rr/security/readerreg.html  The Madison is directly across from the Capitol South stop on the Blue or Orange Line Metro.

The LOC Jefferson Bldg. across Independence Avenue is the one with the stunning entrance hall--mosaics, vaulted ceiling, busts of famous figures from history and literature. They have tours.  http://www.loc.gov/loc/visit/tours.html

I also agree with the recommendation for Pyramid Atlantic. Linda Rollins is their resident bookbinder--a gracious and warm lady! http://www.pyramidatlanticartcenter.org/  The building is only 3 blocks from the Red Line Silver Spring Metro stop (you can catch the Red Line from Union Station, another beautiful public space which has several restaurants and shops)

Tawn O'Connor

On 9/23, I'll be going to Washington DC with my husband.  Since I'm =
obligated to  play "charming spouse"  at only one dinner meeting, I'll =
have five full days on my own.

I'm already planning to visit the women's museum and other favorites =
(Philip's, Smithsonian...) as well as taking a one day photography tour  =
and workshop.  Any suggestions for a bookaholic?  Suggestions for good =
restaurants also welcome.   Many thanks.
Debra Fink Bachelder
Binding Arts

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
                   Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006