[BKARTS] Book Arts class - Northern California

Greetings,

I want to let those of you in the San Francisco Bay Area know about an upcoming book arts class being offered at Foothill College in Los Altos Hills, California (a community college open to all:  www.foothill.edu)

Books Arts I  (Books as Art)
Instructor:  Jody Alexander
GID 090
4 Units
Mon & Wed 1:30 - 4:20
10 week course beginining on September 25th

The catalog description:
Introduction to the skills and techniques of the book arts. Students will learn construction and mounting skills for books, boxes and portfolios. Traditional and non-traditional binding formats include stab, accordion, concertina and signature sewing. Emphasis on form building while exploring content and narrative

My description:
The class will cover all facets of Book Arts.  We will cover basics about paper, glue, thread, and how to cover bookboard.  You will learn a number of folding structures including the flag book, the star book and accordion book.  I will be teaching you basic binding skills and we will make a Japanese Stab binding, a French Stitch binding, an Ethiopian Coptic binding and possibly others if time allows (Buttonhole Stitch or Secret Belgian Binding, anyone?).   We will also do creative exercises and projects with Altered Books and books using Found Objects.  The final projects in this class are always a sight to see - last year many turned out to be stunning performances (some including singing!!!!)  Even if you are already familiar with many of these bindings and structures this class is your opportunity to explore and experiment with them and to push your creativity in the book arts.

Please e-mail me off-list if you have any questions about the class.

Jody Alexander
jojalex@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.jalexbooks.com

                    Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit