[BKARTS] Resources for Civil War era bindings

I'm nearing the production stage of a new book I am printing of letters between three brothers during the American Civil War. It is all previously unpublished work and the author is interested in doing a "period style" binding. Being far removed from a library with adequate collections dating from the period I'm at a bit of a loss, torn between my own aesthetic and knowledge of that time period in american binding in general though I've repaired plenty of crappy bibles from that time. Can anyone direct me to a online resource that might depict some binding structures? I've googled away the last couple hours and not found anything so far.

This is a limited edition of 100 books, 74 printed on Fox River Teton and 26 on Frankfort via letterpress in handset and Intertype Garamond with a page size of 6 1/4 x 9 1/2" and about 80 pages.

The Fox River part of the edition is where I've got design questions regarding how far over to bring the quarter binding from the spine and what might be appropriate. The materials selected are a gray buckram and blue Hahnemuhle Bugra.

The part of the edition printed on Frankfort will be gray Harmatan goat in a half binding with the same blue Bugra covering the remainder of the boards. Both binding versions will be foiled in copper.

Thanks in advance for any possible leads,

Chad

Chad Pastotnik
Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
http://www.deepwoodpress.com