Re: [BKARTS] InDesign vs. Scribus

Jake Davis wrote:

Since we're on the topic of InDesign, I thought I'd ask your opinion of
Scribus.  I use it, mostly because it's free, but have considered buying
InDesign.  I know that Photoshop is a major improvement over the GIMP,
but is it the same with InDesign over Scribus?

I downloaded Scribus and tried it out. It's a very competent application but it lacks many very important features of InDesign, especially full implementation of OpenType typographic refinements. InDesign automatically applies ligatures and uses true small caps when available.

Scribus crashed when I tried to apply image effects. I'll get back to it again when I have some time. Meanwhile, I'd say that whether or not you buy InDesign depends on how complex your work is and what degree of typographic sophistication you want. You can definitely turn out beautiful professional work with Scribus, but it will make you work harder.

It is astonishing, however, to see a DTP like this available free.

-- JULES SIEGEL Apdo. 1764, 77501-Cancun, Q. Roo, Mexico http://www.cafecancun.com/bookarts

http://www.newsroom-l.net/