Re: [BKARTS] Dyes for polyester

Jacquard Acid Dyes work on protein fibers and nylons. They seem to work on almost anything that the natural cotton dyes don't work on. You might want to try it. They're available at many art supplie stores. I hope this helps. Mardy

From: Buckley Jeppson <buckley.jeppson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Dyes for polyester
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 00:19:09 -0700

I have a project that requires me to tint a large panel of lightweight,
printed polyester fabric to tone down the print pattern. The resulting
fabric will be part of a book project. I seem to remember that off-the-shelf
Rit dyes only work well on natural fibers and rayon. It doesn't have to be
an intense dye job, just a shade or two down from it's current state. Any
ideas how to accomplish this with reasonable effort?

Thanks all!

Buckley Jeppson
buckley.jeppson@xxxxxxxxxxx